Global Beauty & Personal Care
Discover the global beauty industry and understand the trends and market forces impacting growth.
top brands & products
1. market overview
- The global cosmetic market grew an estimated 5.5 percent year-over-year last year.
- Skincare accounts for 40 percent of the global cosmetics market.
- Johnson & Johnson is the largest cosmetics company in the world in 2020 with revenues exceeding USD 82.06 billion last year.
- The beauty industry is valued at $532 billion.
- Targeted pricing helps reach new demographics: The beauty industry is dominated by millennials and targeted pricing at all ranges move more cosmetic products.
- The clean beauty movement continues to gain traction — Sustainability is becoming increasingly important to transparency-minded customers.
- 21% of Americans are buying organic makeup.
- 48% of Millennials say they would purchase products with CBD oil for skincare.
- 51% of consumers want to see images that are not photo-shopped.
- There are almost 1 million employees in the service segments of the cosmetics industry.
- Skincare accounts for 60% of the total profit in the beauty industry.
- Facial skin masks account for half of the total Korean cosmetics market share.
- 4 out of 5 American women say they regularly use fragrance products.
2. market segments
4. drive forces
5. industry market leaders
The Future of the Global Cosmetic Industry
The industry is already focused on the millennial demographic when targeting consumers.
The top 10 largest cosmetic manufacturers in the world have shifted their strategies to meet the trends driven by the millennial market, such as creating most sustainable products, being more transparent about messaging and learning from keys segments all over the world on which products to develop and promote.
Leading cosmetics brands are increasingly seeing heavy interest from the top cosmetic manufacturers in the world as well. Coty purchasing a 51% stake in Kylie Cosmetics will not be the first large business deal of this kind in the industry. Expect to see more high profile transactions in the future as the industry has become more entrepreneurial than ever before.